Monday, September 25, 2017

Using Vintage Wallpaper On Furniture Pieces


I have had this roll of vintage wallpaper for over a year -- waiting to list it on ebay.  
It looks like something a 1940s homemaker would have put in her kitchen.

Then I pulled out this teatray project.  The center board of the teatray had rotted out, so I had to replace the bottom with some fiberboardish stuff that I had.  And wanted it to look vintage.  So I thought of the wallpaper.  I glued it directly to the fiberboard.  The glue kind of bled through and I thought I had ruined it, but when it dried it was perfect!  (I did lay a bunch of books on it to keep it from wrinkling).

I put the fiberboard inside the teatray frame.  Nice, but what if someone actually (gasp) uses said tea tray for tea? (Yes, I could have had a glass piece cut for it, but did not want to mess with it.)  I took another chance and brushed a poly over the whole thing.  It had just enough color to turn the project a little gold, and I LOVED it. If I had been super serious about waterproofing, I may have added another coat or two.

Next day I bought this little old cabinet.  Great little antique piece for $17. 

 Nasty looking shelves inside that someone had GLUED horrible paper to.
  I needed a quick fix.
Vintage wallpaper to the rescue!

 Same technique. Glue with book weights, followed by brushing on a coat of poly. 
This little cutie will be moving to our new Missouri Ozarks house with us. 
At this rate there may not be any wallpaper left to list on ebay.

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered about using wallpaper like that. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to use the vintage wallpaper! Thanks for sharing @ Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inventive. I especially like the tea tray save!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...