Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"Francis" Buffet Furniture Redo

When I attended last Saturday's auction (click  HERE  for post on auction) I repeatedly told myself I should not buy furniture.  Do NOT buy furniture.  DO NOT BUY FURNITURE.

Then this buffet came up for sale.  Poor timing, at the very end of the auction.  The van was already packed.  But my husband managed to put it up on top of the van.  And off the Beverly Hillbillies went once again.

I squirreled it away in the shed for the winter, like a big nut.  A "to do" project for next spring.  Then I received a phone call on Sunday saying that I had sold an unheard-of three pieces of furniture from my booth.  So, the big nut was schlepped out of the shed after less than 24 hours.

I got a great deal on it because the dark brown paint (sorry, did not get a photo of it in this condition) disguised the nice lines of the piece.  Thankfully, it was a nice solid piece that only needed cosmetic help.  I painted it a light avocado green on the exterior as the "base" color (first two photos) (as always, the paint is all chalk paint so that I didn't have to do much prep work).  I really wanted to leave the interior the dark brown, just to get the piece done faster...but I couldn't make myself do it.  The interior was painted a darker avo green.

Then I painted a light coat of a creamy white paint on top of the base light green.  That way I could do some sanding and have a good amount of the green peeking through, with a bit of the dark brown bottom layer.  And did I mention that I added the decorative backsplash all by myself?  I was lucky to have it stashed away for just such an occasion.

So, on Monday all I had left to do was the hardware (the original was SO ugly).  I had a couple nice handles, but they were slightly smaller than the originals.  So I had to drill new holes, and I bought cheapo ordinary washers to hide the holes on the outside.  The washers were too shiny for the brushed nickel handles so I gave the handles, knobs and washers a spray of hammered nickel.  Really am liking the results.

I named her Francis, because she looks a little old-fashioned and hard working.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great - I like the color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francis looks beautiful!! Nice furniture makeover!!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...