Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Not Knocking Wood, But Old Door Hardware Is More Valuable

Old wooden doors.  I love them as much as the next person.  I love the solid beauty.  I love the feel of the wood.  I love the chippy paint.  I love that they are easy to sell...if they are priced right. 

For the average, nice four panel old door I ask $24.  It is the price point here in the Midwest where I don't have to sit on the door forever -- I like a quick turnover. 

Which means that I don't make a whole lot on resale -- unless the door is blessed with some nice hardware.

If that is the case I take the hardware off.  It hurts to even say it.  I simply can't sell the door hereabouts for what the door+hardware together is worth. 

sold on ebay for $15.
The hardware is a great seller on ebay and easy to ship.  Many times the hardware outsells the door it was on.  I know it sounds merciless and cold, but this way both the door and hardware get a second chance on life.  Oh, and I get a few dollars in my pocket.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit we have found this, often a set of handles will outweigh what you can make on a set of drawers , its a bit gutting really

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those old handles. Our house in Chicago had the glass ones on all the doors. When we were kids we thought they were diamonds.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...