Thursday, May 7, 2015

"Gilda" The Antique White Mountain Ice Box -- Furniture Redo

I've always wanted to resurrect an antique ice box.  But the price was usually prohibitive.  I came across one in my price range this week. 

Problem was, it was in my price range because there was no door and the wood peeping through the dirt & paint was in pretty bad shape. 

The good news:  lovely rust interior and chippy white paint over most of the outer surface.  I loved the aged and "experienced" patina.

I wanted to honor those trophies of time and not make the thing look new. 

The poor exposed wood on the lid was dry and dingy, so I used an Early American stain on it and any other exposed wood peeping through the paint.  Then a couple coats of clear wax -- one of my least favorite activities. 

I felt like I kept the goal of retaining her aged & primitive personality. I named her "Gilda". 

Selling it at The Rusty Chandelier, north of St Joseph MO.

1 comment:

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...