Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Big Fat Buffet & Mirror Wedding "Vanellie" -- Furniture Redo

This was the old heavy buffet (or dresser?) that I bought at the Rusty Chandelier parking lot sale on 9.20.14.  It lived in the back of the van for about a week, until we felt brave enough to schlep it out.

I am pretty strong, but it was all my husband and I could do to get it out of the van and to the back yard.  It is a heavy beast.  The type of furniture I am trying to avoid.

But who could resist those details?
 
 
I would have left it gray, but the top had rust and damage. 
I decided to use a creamy color of chalkpaint,
and then distressing to let the gray shine through.
 
 
Two coats of the ivory paint.
Sanding to distress.
I liked how the gray and even an earlier layer of green paint peeked through.
More sanding so drawers slide smoothly.
 
I painted the interior a gray with purple tones --
it was actually the last of some old primer so it should cover drawer stains.
I reused the original metal pulls and knobs which had been painted gray,
they looked good against the ivory.
On the bottom doors I used glass knobs to call attention to the ornate detailing.
 
I had picked up the mirror several months ago.
I'm betting that it originally sat on top of a buffet.
So why not introduce them to each other?
 
Love at first sight, they were a perfect match.
A marriage made in heaven.
I'm naming her "Vanellie".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...